Cooks In Combitherm Ovens
This rabbit porchetta recipe is adapted from Daniel Boulud’s Daniel: My French Cuisine and is meant to be made using a combination convection steamer oven like the CT Proformance.
- 1 rabbit with liver and kidney's, skinned
- 2 carrot batons, 1/4” wide, length of rabbit loin
- 4 green asparagus
- 2-1/4 oz tomato confit
- 1 oz diced pork fatback
- 1 oz diced slab bacon
- 2 oz diced grade A foie gras
- 4 t white wine
- 1/4 t thyme leaves
- 1/8 t rosemary
- 1/4 t chopped sage
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, whipped
- 4 T milk
- 1 T panko breadcrumb
- Seasoning mix (per pound of farce):
- 1-1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground white pepper
- 1/8 t quatre epics
- 2 slab bacon batons, 1/4” wide, length of rabbit loin
- 2 coppa batons, 1/4” wide, length of rabbit loin
- Remove the kidneys, liver, legs, and tenderloin from the rabbit. Reserve.
- Remove the saddle from the rabbit, keeping the belly flaps intact.
- Debone the legs, saving the bones. Dice leg meat, kidneys, liver, and tenderloin. Measure out 11-1/4oz for grinding.
- Reserve remaining trim and bones for stock.
- Blanch carrots in a combi at 190F steam for 8 minutes. Shock and reserve.
- Blanch asparagus in 190F steam for 4 min. Shock and reserve.
- Combine meat reserved for grinding, foie gras, tomato confit, egg, milk, breadcrumb, wine, thyme, sage, and rosemary. Heat 1T of oil in sauté pan and lightly cook the garlic, do not brown. Add the garlic to the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Weigh the mixture and add seasoning mix according to the ratio.
- Combine thoroughly and chill. Pass through meat grinder with a coarse die attached.
- Place the loins on cutting board with the belly flap spread out, facing inside up. Season with salt and pepper. Pound out the belly flaps with a flat meat mallet and score with a crosshatch pattern.
- Layer the farce on the belly flap, leaving 1/2” of bottom of the flap exposed. Line coppa, bacon, asparagus, and carrot parallel to each other and press into the farce. Roll the loin over the belly flap creating a log.
- Rub a sheet of aluminum foil with oil, lightly season, and roll up rabbit log in foil. Twist ends to form a tight cylinder. Chill for 30 minuntes.
- In a hot sauté pan, sear each foil wrapped cylinder for a couple minutes. Place into combi oven at 210F in convection mode, 60% fan, 100% humidity. Cook to an internal temperature of 137F.
- When finished, remove from oven and rest 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Chill in blast chiller at 36F for 2 hours or in a refrigerator overnight.
Slice 3/8” thick for service.
View Combitherm Ovens