As an intern, you will learn and grow exponentially while working on exciting projects in your field and forging strong professional connections. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for the experience:
- Demonstrate initiative. As an intern, you will be tasked with hands-on projects that contribute to the overall vision and goals of the department and company. We encourage you to share your ideas and talent fully while executing these projects. Additionally, successful interns are engaged, enthusiastic and proactive throughout their time at Alto-Shaam.
- Be coachable. Ask for open and honest feedback regarding your performance and understand that constructive advice is necessary for growth.
- Find a mentor. A professional mentor is someone who is willing to share their skills, knowledge and expertise with you so that you may grow in your field. If you are not directly assigned a mentor, we encourage you to work closely with someone that you admire in the company. These professional relationships will help answer any questions you might have and will be able to help you grow and feel connected to Alto-Shaam.
- Set personal goals. Set SMART goals for yourself with your supervisor. These goals will provide a framework for what you will accomplish. You will also be able to effectively measure your growth by establishing objectives in the beginning of your internship.
- Do your research. Become a sponge during your internship. Ask your supervisor and team questions as they arise and make it a point to learn about Alto-Shaam and the industry by exploring resources, such as trade journals, blog articles, presentations or the website. Reading and learning about the company and industry will equip you to understand how you can contribute, while also providing you a more holistic understanding of Alto-Shaam’s scope.