Prepare delicious Achiote pork loin in about three hours using an Alto-Shaam Cook & Hold or Smoker Oven. The pork will be bursting with flavor, tender and slice nicely for tortillas. No smoke flavor will be added with a Cook & Hold.
*Achiote paste is available from many Latin grocery stores or can be made at home. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/achiote-paste-recipe.html) Use the whole recipe instead of ½ package.
**If Seville oranges are not available, substitute zest and juice from 2 oranges, plus juice from 3 small limes.
1. Season pork loin with salt
2. Make a soft paste diluting the achiote paste with juices, oil and vinegar. Add the orange zest, cumin and oregano. This can stain clothes, hands and some countertops.
3. Using vinyl or nitrile gloves, rub the achiote well into the meat on all sides. Wrap in banana leaves for more authentic flavour, using the central veins to tie.
4. If using the smoker, soak the chips in water or beer for 5 minutes.
5. Cook in the smoker/cook and hold at 120 C (250F) till 60C (140F) internal, holding at 75C (165F) for three hours minimum. (Not recommended to cook overnight). If using smoke for added flavour set timer to 25 minutes.
6. While meat is cooking prepare the pickled onions for garnish.
7. Mix sliced onions with chiles, salt and vinegar. Let sit for one hour, stirring occasionally.
8. Serve meat sliced into strips with fresh tortillas, and a little pickled onions.