4 ½ cups (1125 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (237 ml) almonds
1 ½ teaspoon (7.5 ml) anise extract
2 tablespoons (30 ml) anise seed
4 teaspoons (20 ml) baking powder
1/3 cup (79 ml) brandy
1 cup (237 ml) soft butter
¾ teaspoon (3.7 ml) salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (473 ml) white sugar
1. Preheat combi oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
2. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper or foil.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg is added.
4. Combine brandy, anise extract and vanilla in a small bowl or measuring cup.
5. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Alternately add dry ingredients and brandy mixture to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
7. Stir in the almonds and anise seed.
8. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared sheet, forming two 2 x 13-inch long strips on each sheet.
9. Smooth dough into logs with moistened fingertips.
10. Bake 25 minutes or until golden on combi mode at 350ºF (175ºC), 100% humidity and 80% fan.
11. Place cookie sheets on racks and cool completely.
12. Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF (150ºC).
13. Cut cooled logs diagonally into 3/4-inch thick slices using a serrated knife. Place slices on cookie sheets.
14. Bake for 10 minutes on convection mode at 300ºF (150ºC), 80% fan, turning after 5 minutes, until dry and slightly brown.
15. Remove to a rack and cool.
Serve with your favorite tea or coffee.