Chocolate Stout Cake
Take an Irish twist on this chocolate cake by adding a stout beer to the batter. Chef Ryan adapted this Chocolate Stout Layer Cake recipe from Bon Appétit for the Alto-Shaam CT PROformance™ Combitherm® combi oven. Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, Chef Ryan used Guinness beer to perfect this cake.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup Guinness stout beer
- 2/3 cup freshly brewed strong coffee
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate (54% to 60% cacao), chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
Chef Ryan lowered the temperature in the combi oven to 325° F and used a 60% fan speed to achieve the perfect finish for the Chocolate Stout Layer Cake.